Tuesday, October 20, 2009

48 and a better week!

Hey Mom,

im doing real good. had a real good week.

before i forget i did get the package from dear elder. i think Catanach and i have downed most of it.

ill probably get my birthday packages on the 3rd at transfers. ill get the cards on my birthday tho.

sounds like you have lots of missionary work going on. i often think about how doing missionary work not as a missionary will be different. when i leave my mission im going to set some goals and try to figure out some ways to continue sharing when im back.

Elder Catanach keeps making me feel old. it didnt help that we drove through Foothill the other day to get our van fixed. it was so weird and it hit me like a wave how long i have been out.

im excited for em getting a car.

sounds like grandma and grandpa and everyone are really busy so ill let them take a rain check.

we have district meeting on my birthday so we will probably have some Elder Barron appreciation time.

had a good week this time. zone conference was great. we learned a few things. we received some instruction on how we could better conclude our first lessons to set our investigators up for success. as a mission we get 3 new investigators for other CA missions' 2. we also get twice as many lessons with members as the CA mission average.

another thing that we learned was how to have a 'plan b' lesson in case our investigators dont keep their commitments. if they dont, then we have to express disapointment and we cant move on. sometimes difficult to do when you teach sensitive people. i think it will be good though to hold people to their word. quote from President: "silence is an excellent way to express devastation." we practiced expressing devastation to our investigators in the conference. we then concluded early and President told us to find a new investigator to start off teaching the right way. we found one and taught her the Restoration. havent seen her since because she is out of town.

henry got to Church this week. he seemed to enjoy it. we had our new ward mission leader teaching the class and we had henry and a few less active members there. one of them was really crazy and kept trying to derail the lesson so i told him that if he wanted to ask those questions he could ask them to me in private after class. then everything went smoothly. we also had some good lessons with henry. he is basically set in stone as a baptism. just cant happen till dec 5th. i think i will try to get him interviewed before i leave the area.

one of our newer investigators, mel, has started to be really exciting to teach. we have taught him lessons from parts of the Restoration lesson since we started teaching him. he got really excited last time because he watched some Conference talks and asked questions about it. things are starting to click for him.

we finally pinned the sammons down and got them BoMs to read. they were a bit resistent and we told them basically to cool it until we could teach them more about it tonight.

chris el** has started to read the BoM alot on his own. good to see him taking some initiative. i dont think i have any other real exciting updates.

oh, about henry. he supports his family in the Phillipines from here. his daughter and sister live in san diego tho. his daughter just had henry's first grandson. the daughter and sister know about his conversion but i dont think his wife does. i think that henry is planning to go back some day and have the missionaries teach his wife while he is there. she is apparently very Catholic. all his friends are workers in the homes. he gave us a referral for his friend that works at a home just outside our area. (darn!) but the missionaries in that area are some of my favorites. we gave them another referral that they got a baptism from and we havent gotten anything from them.

Have a good week!

Love your favorite missionary,

Elder Taylor Barron

3 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Hey Elder, Wow time really is going fast. Things have been busy for us just as your Mom must have told you. Sorry I wasn't able to post anything last week. A few days after Will was born, Grandpa and I drove down to Arizona to visit with my folks and also with a dear friend who is dying of cancer. We wanted to see him before he passed away.

He is a wonderful person and has a wonderful wife who is taking great care of him. He was in a lot of pain and so he couldn't say much but seemed to enjoy our efforts to see him.

My folks are about the same. I worry about them being down there alone but there is not much I can do about it except visit as much as we can.

Do you Elders get the flu and Swine flu shots? I went with Candice this morning so I could stay in the car with little Will while she took her girls in for the shot. Grandpa and I will get ours next week. I imagine you are especially vulnerable since you are around so many people.

I am so glad you had a better week this week with the people you are teaching. You mentioned that Henry sends money back to his family in the Philippines. That is really common. A good friend of ours who is Filipino never married because he had so many to support back there. They are very devoted to their families.

Well, I better get to bed. Grandpa is in Idaho on business. Kirk is in Phoenix on business too. So I will be helping Dani with her kids tomorrow as she has to have them all in different places as the same time! Kind of hard.

We sure have a wonderful family. I know Candice will be sending you photos of little Will real soon. She is just trying to get organized as it has only been a week since he was born.

We love you and love to read your emails. Take care and we will be in touch next week! Grandma Sue

Dani said...

Well, I sent your birthday card in a package, so I guess you wont get it until after your birthday. Sorry! I guess I still don't quite know how early I have to send things for them to get to you on time. I'm glad that you will be getting a little "Elder Barron appreciation time". That made me smile!

Life for us is busy as usual. Football just ended for Braden so that frees up quite a bit of time for all of us. Kirk has been traveling quite a lot with work, but I think we may have a break for a little while. We kind of get into the holidays around here, and we've been having lots of Halloween fun with the kids. I just hope that we can all stay healthy. There seems to be a ton of sickness all around us. They even read a letter from our Stake Pres. in Sacrament Mtg. yesterday suggesting that we do less shaking of hands and gave us a run down on other ways to try to keep stuff from spreading. I don't think I've ever witnessed so much concern over illness before!

Looks like your work is still moving forward. You continue to impress! I know that the Lord is so pleased with the work you are doing. We love you Tay!

Love, Aunt Dani

Wrangler Ron said...

Elder B.,
I think we've cashed the rain check and it's time to jump into the fray again. I think I'd like to join the Elder B. appreciation time myself. Since I can't be there, may I just say so here. You are much loved and appreciated. The example you are setting, the great missionary work you are doing, the selfless way you are serving, is rippling through the family in a variety of ways---ways that you would not be aware of, but that is very real. You are an inspiration to all of us. (You can read that in your distric meeting if you'd like. Smiling all the while too. Truth is truth no matter where you find it, right.)
I taught lesson 5 in our gospel principles class this past Sunday. We have a young couple who are coming regularly and seem to be making great progress. They are both members, but I don't think they grew up in active families as they have never had any Church experiences so it's like working with golden non-member investigators. We had a great class and the Spirit was strong--a good sign that things are working well.
It has been a busy summer and already it's in the rear-view mirror. But, we've had some great experiences and now we're looking forward to finishing up fall and moving into the holidays. Sue and I will be leaving for BYU Hawaii Saturday and will be gone for a week---two weekends. It's tough, as they say, but someone has to do it. (I do have a great job, I think it's the best job in the Church.)
Sue already filled you in about our trip to Arizona so I won't repeat that. It was a beautiful drive though. The fall colors were spectacular. Loved it.
We took photos of little William last night. I'm sure Candice will be sharing as soon as she can. He is a good looking little guy. And Gabe, well, he's growing up fast and he is so much fun to be around. Tanner is a hoot. Has Dani shared the photos we took of her good-looking family a couple of weeks ago? I'm telling you, we have some mighty fine look'n people in our family. It's amazing!
I'm driving the Mustang today, but it's probably the last time for a while. The weather is starting to get a bit wintery and cold. (That's something of a bummer.)
Well, enough of the chit-chat. Take care of yourself. Stay well. Happy Birthday. Happy Hump Day. Happy Hunting.
Grandpa Ron