Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Letter 7

hey ma

i wrote a letter to grandpa and grandma cook. did they get it? i'll write grandpa stan.

sounds good about the dinner. yeah i miss your gravy and spaghetti. i ask for spaghetti sometimes but its not the same. not even sucking up. most popular has been mexican food. everything made for dinner has been good mostly. this place is just like our ward except in california. something not good was this one family we had for christmas eve made everybody their favorite like we used to do. one was cheese fondue. it was pretty sour. fast food cards are very helpful because on exchanges (which i do alot because my comp is district leader) tradition is to get fast food for lunch and we only get 145 per month. doesnt cover eating out 10 times a month. but im fine for now. ill let you know if i need more. should be good for months. with all the candy i got for christmas i filled the box you sent. ill tell people if i need more candy.

oh, got grandma's card. tell her thank you!

thats cool about your israelite friend. i have been learning alot about other religions and cultures. jewdaism is not one of them though.

thats too bad about your calling.

by the way we are still working on getting some priests to go with us.

health is good. im definately not in the shape i was in before though. trying to eat less so i dont gain a bunch of weight.

got the tie. im wearing it right now. love it.

the work is picking up some. got a referral from mtc hq (karma is kicking in now) that we are going to check out tonight. we will visit the lady we got an appointment with from tracting on friday. visiting an investigator who was dropped but is reinterested on monday. could get up to five or so investigators when we do checkbacks on our recent tracting. working with some part member familes too. finally figuring out being led where to go by the spirit. everywhere we go that we plan by the spirit we have great conversations with people even if they do not choose to set a return appointment. pray for us!

cool story--- had to speak in sacrament with no prior notice on sunday. they just announced that i would be speaking. i think somebody didnt show up. but i felt like i should talk about my path to being a missionary and how i was helped by Heavenly Father. i told them that He would work something out with everyone who has a desire to serve. i was also glad i got the opportunity to thank the ward for being so nice to me and the great examples they are. i have gotten so much better at speaking i didnt need any notes or anything i could just stand up there and talk. it was cool to think about the contrast from before. most members prolly still dont know i had no notice. im glad i had that experience at least once even though im spoiled most the time. sending you more pictures today. took lots of christmas. btw the gardners loved the letter for them and elder murley and i appreciated that you thought of him.

love from your favorite missionary,

Elder Barron

2 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Hi Elder Taylor, I just wrote to you but I'll send a little message anyway. I was thinking about how young men who serve missions help Heavenly Father bless their families. I always felt blessings from the Lord very strongly in our lives when we had children on missions. We seemed to be more in tune, studied harder, prayed harder and relied on the Lord the way we should all the time.

I guess we felt more responsibility to live the very best we could and somehow that was helping our missionaries be successful. I know I have become closer to the Lord because I have been a missionary Mom. Someday I want to serve as a missionary too.

Thanks for writing my parents, Taylor. I know they will love hearing from you. They highly respect the missionaries and especially those in the family.

Guess I'll get to bed since it is 1:30 in the morning--New Year's Eve! Happy New Year Elder and God bless!! Love you.

Wrangler Ron said...

Elder Barron,
I really appreciate the opportunity to read your letters. It sounds like you are making your mark there; learning to listen to the Spirit, speaking without prior notice, finding ways to build on your teaching pool. Next will be baptisms. In the meantime, your ability to be a great missionary is increasing and the Spirit will deepen your testimony.
It is such a special time in your life and I'm so glad to see that you are making the very most of it. It's been a lot of years since I served my mission, but what I learned and experienced there has blessed my life ever since. So, as I watch (from a distance) what you are doing and what you're experiencing it's almost like I'm back out there again. Thank you for being such a great young man, for being faithful, and for being willing to do and go whatever and wherever the Lord needs you. We pray for you each and every day. Much love.