Friday, December 19, 2008

Letter 5

Hey. How you guys doin? Dont know if you got my letter yet. Me and Elder Murley are in Foothill Ranch ward in the very northern part of the mission. Don't know if i included that. Hope i remembered your email right. How you guys been doin? I'm doing really well out here. Wish we could find some more investigators. I know im doing right but people arent very interested. Still alive after being attacked by dogs and I have been yelled at. Let me know if you want me to go into more detail about anything. Don't really know what else to say about here...

by the way i can get pics on this. And if you happen to be at the computer when you get this its perfectly legal to email right back and have an email conversation.

To Emily: How you doin? This weeks been good. Can't believe its almost been a month. At first the days seemed long but now it goes by really fast. Sometimes i wake up still and think hmmm today i think ill run to highland village and back and then play with Miley before i really wake up. I dream about home alot still. Miss you so much.

This week for a story: we got a call from the Harris's (a family in our ward) that Brother Harris needed a blessing. We went over and Elder Murley said in the blessing that he would heal quickly and it happened. It was really cool he was in so much pain that night he was crying and we were scheduled to have dinner with them the next night and he was smiling and wrestling with his kids. It was awesome. I know that the Lord sent me here for a purpose. I know that if i continue to work in faith good things are going to happen.

This week i have been sharing a message about faith with a lot of families. I read some scriptures out of Alma 32. (Read that this week.) True faith leads to action. (Read James 2.) I have just learned so much here even though the people aren't receptive right now. As i excercise faith and desire that the Holy Ghost will teach and change these people I know that they can feel it even if they do turn down the message. So far I have been mostly a voice of warning to the people. It's ok because I know things will happen. I exercise faith in that by going out every day just as determined as the last.

(note from me: tay wrote this and then sent it to a wrong email address. because he only receives his email once a week- he didn't know it had returned to him. upon discovering, he wrote this note to attend with it.)

sorry i didnt get this to you last week. got your email from dad so you should get this. hope you get my letters. love you guys. picked up a couple new investigators this week. pretty exciting. can you get me sean's address? love you miss you. so sorry bout this not getting to you.

Love your favorite missionary,

Elder Taylor Barron

3 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Well, Taylor (I mean Elder Barron), sounds like you are already in the reality of mission life! I think we have a friend who lives in Mission Viejo. I'll have to check his address again.

You'll have to tell us more about your normal daily life. Do you eat dinner with the family you live with each night? Do you have your own apartment in their house? Where do you usually eat lunch? Did your companion have any investigators when you got there?

I know it must be very difficult to put up with all the unpleasantness of some people, but I just have to remind you that I am so grateful for the missionaries in Alaska who found and baptized me! It may take awhile for you to find someone who is interested, but that is one of the things that makes you so ready to teach when you do find them. The thing that impressed me the most about the Elders who first taught me was how cute they were (just kidding but I was all of 14) no, it was their testimonies. It was amazing to me when they said that they KNEW the church was true.

Anyway, let us hear some of the normal daily stuff so we can picture you out there doing your thing! You are a wonderful young man and we sure love ya!
Grandma Sue

BJ said...

Elder Barron,

Sounds like you are getting into the swing of things. I remember the first few months of my experience in the mission field. I was like you, I got in the field in December, and I remember just how much I wanted to be home instead of in the cold knocking on doors of people who didn't want to see us. I wish I could tell you that my efforts paid off later in converts, but that wasn't what happened. The Lord requires a heart and a willing mind, and that's what I gave. I feel that I have been blessed for that. My mission has been a blessing for my entire life since then. And you can feel blessed in the mission even when you have no investigators. Count your blessings Elder, and you will find that you have more energy for knocking on doors, and more faith when talking with members. And when you find investigators, they will just be another blessing to add to your list. Missionary work is hard, but it is not without its blessings. We love you, and we are praying for you.

BJ

Dani said...

Elder Barron-

I am so impressed by your faith and your desire to push on! You have the right perspective on things, and you know that with hard work comes the blessings! This must be the hardest time of year to be away from home. Hang in there!

I hope you know how much we all love you, pray for you and think of you. Merry Christmas!!

Love- Aunt Dani