Tuesday, August 11, 2009

38

Hey,

P day is rushed because we have to pack alot into the hours that we have. we have to get food for the week, email, write letters, clean the apartment, do laundry, and then there is travel time in there as well.

sounds like you are busy with your new calling. you guys sound super busy.

thanks to your call to the mission office i get to have a car and i will be the driver which will be weird after not driving for like 9 months.

thanks for making me a facebook, Mom. that will help us stay in contact with the people that i meet. pretty easy way to stay friends and not work too hard at it.

i dont think i need anything, im doing pretty good, looking forward to the package. so today is especially crazy. and this week will be.

saturday we found out for sure that i am losing Elder Gibbons today. on sunday i got a call from one of the assistants that i am being called to be the district leader. yesterday i got a call from President Brady that i will be training a new missionary. with all the goodbying that we were doing and all the teaching appointments that we had it has been difficult to prepare for all the changes going on. we have been staying up late the last couple nights trying to get everything ready. Elder Gibbons has been packing and i have been getting the apartment spick and span for the new missionary. i have also been taking every second i get to prepare a training for district meeting tommorow and to teach the new missionary the basic things that he will need to learn quickly. i am about at the end of my rope trying to hold everything down. plus Elder Gibbons is going to be really hard to not have anymore. he will be one of my best friends when i go home. so--- for teaching this week.

henry is still on fire. we are sure that he would pass a baptismal interview now. we just need to get him to church a couple times and set the date and get the interview. so we might have to put the baptismal date back even so that it hits his saturday off. but he is solid.

we saw chris er** this morning and i think he is just busy trying to find a new job. who can blame him? he said that he would like to meet my new comp soon so we will see what we can get him to do. if he wants to be baptized badly enough it would be easy enough to make happen. he just needs to commit sundays and do an interview and then be baptized.

chris el** got a little upset that common law marriage is not recognized by the Church but he understands. still see him most days and read from the Book of Mormon with him.

dan is making some changes for the better. we taught him a lesson on prayer that changed his outlook on some things. he promised to read and pray every day.

have been teaching paige the new member lessons. she is still going strong.

a family went through a historical site in st george last week and asked for the missionaries to teach them. so we got the referral and it is a family of four named the washingtons. we are going to teach them on friday.

we also picked up another family named the sammons. we have been exceedingly blessed that way. we now have some whole families to teach. i havent had that experience before so im really excited. both families are really good friends with member families in the ward here.

we are teaching some other new people and ill let you know if they stick around for awhile. prolly wont have time to comment today.

Love your favorite missionary,

Elder Taylor Barron

2 comments:

Mustang Suzie said...

Hi Elder, Hope things are going well for you with your new responsibilities and your new companion. I'm sure you will fill us all in on that.

I had a wonderful experience yesterday. I met a great aunt on my mother's side who is 99 years old. She lives in North Carolina but came out here for two weddings in her family and a missionary homecoming. She will be leaving on this Friday. She was married to my grandfather's brother and was a member of the church! I knew I had some members in my family but had never been around them. Her father was the first member of the church and he joined in the 1800's and converted many people in NC.

I want to find out more about all of them. Makes me happy to know that I have pioneer heritage in the church! They just didn't cross the plains!!

Anyway, I know you will be busier than ever with your new challenges so I don't want to take up too much of your time. You are connected to all of us on Facebook now which is pretty fun to see your smiling face! Your Mom is setting you up real nicely for when you get home.

Take care and I'm sure you'll have lots of stories to tell next time. Love you tons, Grandma Sue

Wrangler Ron said...

Wow,changes are coming at you fast. New companion. New assignment. (Congrat's, I know you'll be a mighty fine district leader.) New people to teach, full families to boot. And on top of that---driving privileges and a car. You can't say that missionary work is boring can you?
By now you are a week into all of this and I'm sure you have things all in hand and well organized.
I wish I could be a fly on the wall and watch you as you teach the gospel to the investigators and as you explain to your new companion what missionary work is REALLY like. Whoever he is he couldn't have a better first companion. He is very lucky and will be greatly blessed.
By the by, where is Elder Gibbons from? Is he from somewhere around this part of the world? Do you and he plan to go to school together when you both get home?
We're doing well here. Keeping busy and mostly out of trouble. I repeat, mostly. Not entirely.
I think you might know that I went to Hawaii a week ago. Trouble is everyone thinks its all fun and beach time. But it's mostly meetings and work. And between BYU Hawaii, BYU Provo, BYU Idaho, and Humanitarian Services I do have a few things to keep up with.
But, enough of that.
As I've said before, we're proud of you and how hard you are working, and how commited you are to serving with your full strength and heart.
The Lord obviously loves you and sees how hard you are working; how obedient you are to His every desire. Keep it up.
Love ya'
Grandpa Ron