Wednesday, September 2, 2009

41

Hey,

so that i remember to tell you-- got the package. that shirt is pretty sweet. thanks for sending it to me.

sounds like a busy time. i know how meetings with ward councils and things like that go. sounds time consuming. i hope that you are doing alright trying to get through that schedule that you have going. sounds pretty tough.

im glad that you spend time with katie. she will need someone to talk to as she learns more and more about the Church. there is a lot to learn.

this week has been interesting. i was on exchanges in other areas on two of our most important teaching days. so... for some of our people, i only know what Elder Catanach has told me.

Elder Catanach is doing awesome. he is so on board with trying things that are difficult to him and learning how to be more efficient and a stronger teacher. some things are difficult to do for younger missionaries like getting rid of mormon norwegian, going on exchange in your own area, engaging investigators as you teach, and pulling an equal load. he is doing his best in all of those areas and it amazes me how the Lord makes up the difference for him sometimes. he improves so much every day that he is out here. this might sound weird with me not being with him very long but i am so proud of him. it isnt easy for him and he is pushing through it.

its funny being in a leadership position and i got to see some of this with Elder Gibbons but a good portion of your thoughts and efforts go to building missionaries almost like they are investigators. i have a couple in my district who are struggling. one because he feels he isnt good enough at being a missionary and one who doesnt want to be here. it is interesting to get to work with them and have a new perspective.

Elder Catanach has told me that Henry is working on hiring a reliever for weekends and he could be able to go to Church as soon as next week although that is a bit optomistic. lots of people looking for jobs though so it shouldnt be too long before henry can go with us.

Elder Catanach also has told me that we have picked up a new investigator who kept his appointment with us and wants us to come back.

no major progress that i am aware of anywhere else.

i am working on making a template family mission plan that i will commit families here to build off of. that should get the work going faster if they will chip in some.

still working with lots of potential investigators. found a ton in the last two weeks and we are working on pinning them down. have a good week.


Grandma: Hi Grandma. i cannot believe that we are on email 40. i also have difficulty believing lots of time markers and things that have happened.

we are doing lots of splits with the other Elders. i have only 4 left over this week and next week. i am ready to be done. next transfer if i am still here i will get to start doing them earlier and they will be less headache.

for meals, we usually only eat lunch and breakfast at the apartment and we have poptarts, cereal, sandwiches, and simple stuff like eggs and bacon or microwaveable stuff. when we dont have dinners i do like to try cooking. i make BLT's, bacon cheeseburgers, spaghetti, pretty simple stuff.

i hope gabe and braden are getting better. i cannot believe that caleb and mandy are in school! we are getting a bit older as a family.

Grandpa: happy birthday Grandpa!

we all have certainly been blessed as you said. sounds like you have been busy with all the things that you have going on. do you get to be at the presentation where they show it to the general welfare committee?

sometimes i am amazed when i find new layers to the gospel as you said. i feel like i have learned a few this transfer. i just keep learning that it is true as it says in the scriptures that "as many as I love I rebuke and chasten." that is the whole Plan of Salvation, to be put through hard times so that we can learn. Heavenly Father loves us too much to make things easy for us. i have really realized this in my training of Elder Catanach. if i didnt love him i wouldnt throw him into or leave him in difficult situations. he learns way more if i make him stretch. i could make the work go much smoother by doing everything myself. but that was satan's plan, to take away agency. i am amazed at what Heavenly Father has taught me and others out here. the mission truly is as Elder Holland told us in the MTC, 'God's greatest gift to a 19 year old'.

i hope you have a good week.

Love your favorite missionary,

Elder Taylor Barron

4 comments:

Utah Dancer said...

Sounds like things are going well! I am glad you have a trainee who is so willing to get up to speed. As for the companionship having troubles, just remember--the choice is their's to make as to what kind of missionaries they will be. It is sad that they have let discouragement take them this far away from the course. I am sure you will do a great job of encouraging them--but if they don't listen, it will not be because of you.

You continue to walk the walk, and it is inspiring.

We love you!

Wrangler Ron said...

Elder B.,
Another week has quickly passed. I trust it has been a successful one for you---lots of interested investigators with a spiritual high to learn from and remember.
No, I don't get to go to the General Welfare Committee meetings. Wish I could. It would be quite interesting I'm sure. It's kind of an exclusive meeting. But I heard things went very well and that the video we created based on our time aboard the USNS Comfort had it's desired impact. We should be having more opportunities to do those kind of things in the future and the Brethren committed the Church to be supportive of another such mission in the Pacific next year. Maybe I'll get to go visit the ship while it is there next summer. I'd like that.
This week I'm going to be spending time working with BYU Idaho and the next week I'll be in Hawaii working with BYUH and PCC. (It's not a bad job that I have. :-) I would never have expected that I'd have this opportunity in my life. It's quite amazing to me. But, it's something I'm very grateful for.)
Do you think there is a chance that you will be transfered next go round? You mentioned it as though you sort of expected it. It seems like you haven't been in this area all that long, but then I guess you never know.
As Candice said, keep walking the walk, we're all inspired by what you are doing.
Love you much.
Grandpa

Mustang Suzie said...

Hey Elder, What a nice post from you this week! You sound busy, organized and on top of the many responsibilities you've been given. Glad your companion is doing so well. I hope that the missionaries that are struggling will come around and start to realize the wonderful opportunity they have.

Sounds like you still have many new people to teach. Great! I hope they embrace the Gospel. They will never be sorry. It has made all the difference in the world in my life.

Well, as you know, Grandpa had his birthday this past week. Don't know if you are aware that it was his 70th. So the celebration has lasted a little longer. We are actually having a family get together tomorrow since it is Labor Day and everyone is off. I got him the things he needs for his new photo room like lights, etc. It will be fun to be able to take really nice portraits in there.

Just so you know, lots of people in the family ask about you. I was just talking to Grandpa's Aunt Cora and she wanted to know how you were doing. Also, Grandpa Stan and Charlotte asked about you the other day. My folks always ask about you. We are all thinking of you and praying for you. Take care of your wonderful self and know that we love you and that Heavenly Father loves you! Grandma

Dani said...

Hey Elder,
I apologize that it's been a couple of weeks since I've written anything to you. It's certainly not because I haven't been thinking about you and all you are doing. First of all, congrats!! I don't think I've told you that since you were made district leader and trainer. What faith your Mission President obviously has in you! Of course, I'm not surprised in the least. We've known for a long time how great you are! :-) As you have mentioned, responsibility can come with some big challenges, but I have no doubt that you are up to the task. You are doing a fantastic job!

As my mom mentioned in a previous letter, Braden was pretty sick for about a week and a half, but he is doing SO much better now. We aren't too sure why the medication didn't seem to help him at first, but after about a week he started to improve. Now they have him on meds that should help keep it under control. I hope we can get him off those soon too though. He had to miss school and football of course and he wasn't happy about missing out on his first big game. He's back at it now though and has another game tonight. First one of the season for him, so he's a bit nervous. Kimmy is great. She loves her new school teacher and spends a lot of time dancing too. She is so excited because she just got her first pair of pointe shoes in ballet. Big moment for her! Marissa loves first grade, but I sure miss her now that she's in school all day. She loves ballet too and is doing so well. We are in the process of teaching Marissa the Articles of Faith. She has the first 3 down. Braden and Kimmy had them memorized when they were 6 and 4, so I figured it was time to get Marissa going too. She gets so excited about it. Pretty fun. Tanner keeps us all entertained. His speech has exploded the past couple of weeks and he says the funniest things. He's so fun to have around!

Well, sorry for the long update. The kids wrote you letters too, so I'll try to get them mailed out to you really soon. We love you and we are so proud of you! Keep up the good work!