the following letter was written toward the end of the day he entered the MTC, and i'm happy to share:
"Exciting day. Everyone is really nice and i am more excited than ever. love you. miss you.
Getting processed took a couple of hours and i ended up getting a flu shot. :( But whatever.
I am one of the shortest guys here. Not even kidding. Tall people. After procession we met in that same big room for orientation. The MTC Presidency spoke about companionship and told us the three reasons we could split as a companionship. 1. An interview 2. Companion Exchange 3. Bathroom.
By the way, my companion is Elder Meis from southern Colorado who is also going to Carlsbad. He seems like a really humble, quiet, down to earth guy. I really like him.
Everyone who just entered today seem like boys to me among the men here. I might really change. You'll see.
Then we met our Branch Presidency and Zone Leaders. They interviewed us and told us where everything is and just seemed like fantastic guys. (he then crossed the word 'guys' out) We don't say guys here anymore, it's Elder _____. from now on
Have to be reading the 'White Bible' by Sunday and give a 5 minute talk on Christlike attributes if my name gets picked. Each sacrament, two Elders are picked at random to give talks on the subject of the week Should be really busy.
Happy Birthday Mom! Love you guys!
P.S. Everyone keeps wanting to call me Elder Masterstronthunder and i don't even know why. I told them to stop because some Elders were getting jealous."
and that's it (back to me writing)other than a little cartoon he drew of the two of us- he an elder wearing foot powered boosters telling me 'happy birthday', and me riding a skateboard holding a sword saying, 'okay man.'
i sent mom tay's address and she said she'd get it to all of you!
thanks for being such wonderful family. i feel your love and support and am so thankful to you all!
(keep checking back...i'll update with photos and word from tay!)
receiving the call...
4 comments:
This is a great way to share Taylor's missionary experiences! He sounds wonderful. We got mail off to him today. I'm so grateful that we had some time with him before he went in. Way to go Elder Taylor!!!!
Staying in touch this way is really quite amazing. Back in the day we used pencils and paper. Or, occasionally the phone.
And this is a great way to share your photos too.
It sounds like Elder Barron is off to a great start. "boys among men" is an interesting and insightful comment. He'll see that he has changed big time in about 6 or 8 months. That's when he will start noticing those new missionaries look very young and naive. :-)
I'm so glad he has chosen to do this. He has my deepest and heartfelt respect. And, of course, my love.
On one hand, it seems like it was a very long time ago when I was a missionary. But, when I get thinking about it, it sometimes seems like only last year.
Okay, it was a very long time ago. When I was a missionary we celebrated when we reached the goal of having 10 thousand missionaries in the field at one time. Now we have something around 6 times that. Wow.
But for each missionary it is a very personal, deeply rewarding experience. It will have a great impact on moulding him into the man he will yet become. Go Elder Barron. Go.
God bless you.
Wow... hard to top what Dad put so eloquently into words. We love you Taylor! I'm mailing you a letter today that my kids put together. We have been thinking of you and praying for you and know that you will do an amazing job! Keep that sense of humor about you... I love it!
His letter brings back so many memories. It has been awhile since I have had such a close missionary link--it just warms my heart to think of what he is experiencing. He is so centered--meaning, relaxed and focused. I could not be more pleased to have such a nephew. Can't wait to hear more...
Post a Comment